Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Beszéljen magyarul velem. - Speak to me in Hungarian.

Beszéljen magyarul velem. formal
Beszélj magyarul velem. - informal

This is a phrase that I have to remember. Speak to me in Hungarian.

It is very easy for me to fall into English when in Hungary. When we arrived at BUD I had every intention of asking for two seven day travel passes in Hungarian. When it was my turn to step up to the counter the gentleman asked "What would you like?" Yep, English. I responded in English.

In the center of Budapest it is very easy to not speak Hungarian. I think what happens is that people will hear me conversing with John in English and automatically speak to us in English.

When I have been able to start speaking Hungarian I find people are willing to let me stumble and speak slowly. You can see the patience in their faces and many will help and correct as I go.

So I will keep trying and keep "Beszéljen magyarul velem".

Szia!

No comments:

Post a Comment