Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Learning Tools

Before I go into past learning tools, I do have to say that the use of a blog did come from Benny and Fluent in 3 Months. He is one of my latest tools and while I am just starting out with his information it appears to be the clearest and most straight forward way to go about learning a new language.

When I first started out, I was turned on to Live Mocha and I was doing fairly well. The "legacy site", as it is now called, took a learner through different stages of learning. It tought single words and then built on them to create simple sentences. There were repetitive vocabulary tests as well as writing and speaking that "native speakers" could correct. Around the time that they were bought out by Rosetta Stone, they stripped down the teaching aspects. The "building" philosophy is all but gone, for Hungarian that is and the ability to write and speak have been taken down to one word or a single sentence. I rarely log on to that site anymore.

Flashforward to 2014 and I find, by accident, Memrise. In short, it has everything that I missed about the origina Live Mocha except the critiques. But, since I have already picked up about 45 new words in 3 days I will stick with it and see what happens.

Of course there are may apps available and I have downloaded a few and do use them. My favorite is Learn Hungarian by WagMob . It has common phrases, a dictionary and flashcards. It works well on both my iPad and iPhone so I can pull it out whenever I have a free moment. If there are others to try, let me know.

Lastly of course I have books. I've bought books, I've loaned books and have been given books. My favorite would be Beginner's Hungarian Dictionary and that being because my dear friend in Budapest sent it to me. If anything it's fun to look at the drawings while learning the words.

So, off I go to spend some more time learning. Until then, sziasztok!

No comments:

Post a Comment